Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Welcome to Nong Bua





Right now I am lying on my bed, listening to the chirping cicadas outside and reflecting on the amazing day I had. I had the pleasure of walking throughout almost all of the 163 houses in the village today and hand out pamphlets explaining who we foreigners are, why we are here, and how we cleaned the water. We also invited them to a meeting tomorrow morning to show them the slide show of how the water is cleaned. I am really excited for this meeting. PJ was so helpful all day with translating and talking with all of the villagers. Many of the people were not home because they were out in the fields picking rice or on their longon farms. In the afternoon Mr Sawat the head of village heads came around with us and I had so much fun. The people welcomed me and Jess into their homes and offered us fruit and water. They all thanked us for cleaning the water and told us that once the government installs new pipes they will for sure drink it. As we left each house they customarily wished us good luck and thanked us which I thought was so sweet. Before talking to us today everyone was surprised to find clean water in their taps and didn’t know why. They believed the government paid for it and even paid us to be here. Most people, however, didn’t even know we were here which surprised me. We have been living and working for them for 3 weeks and today was the first day they knew anything about us.
My favorite part of the day, by far was when Mr. Sawat drove us by the rice pattys to visit with the villagers who were not at their homes because they were out working. While PJ(our translator) explained to the women sorting the rice about the work we have done, Jess and I got to go out into the field and the men showed us how to pick the rice so that it can then be replanted. I had so much fun with this! Ever since we got here I have wanted to learn how people actually grow and farm the rice. The villagers were more then happy to show me and seemed excited to have us come out and see how they work. After a long day of walking in the heat we were driven back to Warm Heart and then Aomdoi for a relaxing evening. I am really psyched to see the response at the meeting tomorrow. Hopefully a lot of people will show up to put some pressure on the government (who is trying to get re-elected since it is election season) to replace the pipes so that the people can drink the newly cleaned water. They all seemed very excited to be able to drink it and I am glad that they will have clean water.

1 comment:

Amazing Thailand said...

Bangkok,s nights is very charming for tourism.